2009 National Arbor Day Awards
Lawrence Enersen Award
Michael Hardy of Philadelphia is the recipient of the Lawrence Enersen Award, which is given to honor work done at the community level. Hardy’s fingerprints are on just about every tree-planting event in the communities of University City, West and Southwest Philadelphia for the last 11 years. He started UC Green in 1998 with the help of the University of Pennsylvania. UC Green has become the leading organization that coordinates and supports volunteer community greening efforts in local neighborhoods. Since it was founded, UC Green has engaged more than 5,000 volunteers, planted thousands of trees, bulbs and perennials and renewed more than 35 residential streetscapes.
This year’s winners are:
- Robert Thibodeaux of Church Point, LA
- Michael Hardy of Philadelphia, PA
- The Streetscape Program of Fort Myers Beach, FL
- World Forum Foundation
- Blue Valley Ranch of Kremmling, CO
- The Village of Wilmette, IL
- Reforest the Bluegrass of Lexington, KY
- Fayetteville Natural Heritage Association of Fayetteville, AK
- The Hardwood Forestry Fund of Reston, VA
- Toyota Motor Manufacturing Indiana, Inc.
- Tahoma High School's Outdoor Academy of Kent, WA
- The Kirkwood Junior TreeKeepers of Kirkwood, MO
- Louisiana Public Broadcasting's documentary Return to the Forest Where We Live
- The International Society of Arboriculture's interactive “Planting and Early Care” series
- The Wild Trees, written by Richard Preston
- The City of Minneapolis, MN
- City of Olympia, WA
- Allstate Insurance Company
- Citi Cards
Award winners are recognized for their leadership in the cause of tree planting, conservation,and environmental stewardship.
Leaders in tree planting, conservation, and environmental stewardship from around the country and world are honored each year at our annual Arbor Day Awards celebration held in Nebraska City, Nebraska. The awards ceremony is part of the annual Arbor Day weekend celebration held at Lied Lodge & Conference Center.