2008 National Arbor Day Awards
Lawrence Enersen Award
Debbie Mendelson of Woodside, CA, will receive the Lawrence Enersen Award for outstanding tree planting and conservation work at the community level. Mendelson started the Heritage Tree Awards, which identifies and honors trees of historical significance in her community. She also helped craft and for 12 years worked on passing a Tree Preservation Ordinance, which was adopted by Woodside in 2006. Mendelson helped create the Woodside Tree Booklet, which catalogues trees and shrubs suited to the area, and distributes it to residents of Woodside and to contractors who work in the area.
This year’s winners are:
- Dr. Peter Raven of St. Louis, MO
- Buck Abbey of Baton Rouge, LA
- Jeunesse Park of Johannesburg, South Africa
- Debbie Mendelson of Woodside, CA
- Green Streets for Omaha, NE
- Long Island Nature Collaborative for Kids of Long Island, NY
- Kurt Berger of Sugar Grove, PA
- Johney Haralson of Denmark, SC
- The Ziolkowski Family of Crazy Horse, SD
- The City of Buffalo and Re-Tree Western New York of Buffalo, NY
- Johnson City Housing Authority of Johnson City, TN
- Rain to Recreation of Lenexa, KS
- The USDA Forest Service Living Memorials Project of Newtown Square, PA
- The Forest Where Ashley Lives by Mark and Ashley Vitosh of Ames, IA
- If I Were a Tree by Dar Hosta of Flemington, NJ
- Eastside Elementary School of Clewiston, FL
- Doubletree Hotels
- Home Depot Foundation
Award winners are recognized for their leadership in the cause of tree planting, conservation,and environmental stewardship.
Leaders in tree planting, conservation, and environmental stewardship from around the country and world are honored each year at our annual Arbor Day Awards celebration held in Nebraska City, Nebraska. The awards ceremony is part of the annual Arbor Day weekend celebration held at Lied Lodge & Conference Center.