9 Tree Care Tips & Techniques
Nine comprehensive tree care tips will take you step by step, from selecting and planting the right tree to the care and upkeep of a mature tree.
It is important to remember that proper tree care starts when you select a tree and that what you do to your tree in its first few years of life will affect its shape, strength, and even its life span. Following these steps will make sure tree gets on the correct foot and keep it healthy throughout its life.
- Finding a Tree
- Selecting a Healthy Tree
- Tree Planting
- The Importance of Mulch
- Tree Watering
- When to Prune
- Keys to Good Tree Pruning
- Annual Tree Pruning Steps from Planting to Maturity
- How to Identify Pest and Disease Problems
Additional Tree Care Information
In addition to this page, we have several free online resources for more detailed tree care, pruning, and planting techniques:
- Online Tree Pruning Guide
- Free Tree Care Tips from Tree City Bulletins
- Plant the Right Tree in the Right Place
- The Arbor Day Foundation Blog
Get answers to your questions on the Arbor Day Message Board, an online community of tree planters and professionals.